- General English
- Business and Professional English
- One-To-One Training Company Personnel
- English With Special Interest
- English For Young Learners
- Fast Track IELTS
- Aviation English
Where are your courses held?
Who is this Course For?
Students joining this course want to be able to hold conversations much more easily and with a great deal more confidence. They want to speak and to understand with much less concentration and effort.
General English is for those of all ages and backgrounds, including those who have moved on to new phases in their lives after a number of years in a successful career. You can take this course, however much or however little English you may already know.
General English Image 1
General English Image 2
General English Image 3
General English Image 4
General English Image 5
General English Image 6
Tennis at Amesbury
How is the content of my course decided?
You complete an English test and a Needs Analysis during your first lesson and your host teacher plans a course specifically designed to meet your needs.
You and your host teacher review the course content and your progress as you go along but there is always a formal review half way through your course.
What happens during my lessons?
You are learning English as it is used in the UK and across the world today. Your host teacher works with you on speaking, listening and understanding and you focus on the particular learning needs and activities that you have identified as your priorities.
Most students need to develop their skills in the correct use of English tenses. This is fundamental in the effective learning of the language. They almost always need to work, too, on prepositions and vocabulary and on pronunciation, stress and intonation.
Our host teachers are very well aware that many English Home Lesson students are coming to their course from very different daily routines. Variety is a key element in our tuition sessions. Your host teacher varies pace, activity and content during lessons in order to maintain your motivation and interest.
We use relevant, up-to-date course books with their associated audio-tapes, together with authentic materials such as extracts from TV programmes and articles in newspapers and magazines.
Our Director of Studies or another member of the EJO staff team either telephones or visits you to check that you are completely satisfied with your course.
What is a typical Day? [click to expand / minimise]
The daily routine and timetable is obviously discussed between you and your host and depends on your needs and the specific language areas you wish to focus on. As an example, a typical weekday on a twenty-hour-per week course might be the following:
- Breakfast with your host teacher
- 09.15 - 10.15
- Lesson 1 - Review of the difference in use of present simple and present continuous tenses and intensive practice
- 10.30 - 11.30
- Lesson 2 - Different ways of asking questions in English. Stress and intonation in the 'yes/no' question form
- 11.45 - 12.45
- Lesson 3 - Understanding spoken English: listening to and discussing short TV programme extract
- Lunch with your host teacher
- 14.15 - 15.15
- Lesson 4 - Expressing an opinion, agreeing and disagreeing in English; discussing topic of current interest in which expressing opinions is central
- Visit to local shopping centre and supermarket with your host teacher
- 18.00 - 19.00
- Private study assignment arising from day's tuition
- Evening meal with your host teacher
- Opportunity for free time, private study, relaxation or socialising
What is included in the price?
- Comfortable accommodation and all meals in the home of your host teacher
- Living as part of the household during the stay
- Introduction to the local area
- Your chosen number of hours of English tuition each week (20, 25 or 30)
- Testing and Needs Analysis and a course designed to meet your individual needs
- Use of up-to-date course resources
- The support of the EJO Director of Studies
- Excursions as arranged if booked in advance
- Course report, including suggestions from your host teacher for further study after your course
- Certificate of Attendance
Are there any extras?
The following are at additional cost:
- Travel from and to your own country
- Meeting on arrival and travel between point of arrival and departure in the UK and host teacher's home
- Expenditure associated with any excursions, local outings and visits (unless asked for and booked in advance)
- Your travel Insurance (EJO can make arrangements for this if asked to do so in advance)
How do I arrange my course?
Please complete an enrolment form.
You let us know:
- which course you would like to take
- when you would like to come to England
- how long you would like to come for
- any special learning priorities or other requests or questions you may have
We then get in touch with you or your agent to:
- Answer any questions you may have
- send you a description of a host teacher we believe will be suitable for you
- progress your booking